Monday, June 12, 2006

Finding the right sound

Processing the bass sound in the studio using advanced software is very interesting, the challenge is to be able to reproduce that sound in live play settings. I tried a lot of different Digital Signal Processors (Boss GT-6B, Berhinger VAMP Pro, Line 6 Bass Pod and Line 6 Bass POD XT Live Pro).

The Bass Pod was a complicated to use live since there was no pedal board included, I had to buy an external Midi controller. I bought a Behringer Midi controller and connected it, I had to program all patch changes, this was cumbersome. I then switched to a Behringer DSP, since all the patches were programmed on the Midi foot controller I was using. I was not happy with the Amp DSP on it, very noisy. So I looked around for a Boss GT6B, the effects were great, but the amp dsp were not good enough, I could not get the bottom end I wanted.

Then I found the Bass Pod XT Live Pro, this is a great device. The setup that Line 6 uses to record is just great and the DSP are very close to the real amps they simulate. The software to control the patches is super.

My favorite patch is based on a Ampeg SVT, 8 x 10s, A flanger effect and a bit of space echo. This is what you can hear on the Ete snippet which can be found at:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/t_barake/epoxy

Cheers,
A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home